kernel probe of NICs

Luke Hollins lwh at pathcom.com
Fri Jan 30 04:32:50 PST 2004

lees at badboy.spawar.navy.mil wrote:
> Hi,
> i'm new to FreeBSD (5.1 from CD set) and grateful for it.
>
> i've installed one machine no problems but on another a suspect
> ethernet interface has developed.  It's an Asus p4p800 motherboard
> with 3C940 on the board.  (i'm suspect of this much integration)
>
> At first, messing with Debian and Suse, the card worked fine.
> When i sent to  installing FreeBSD no card was detected
> by sysinstall->Configure->Networking->Interfaces.
> Shouldn't it show up there?
> ifconfig doesn't see it.
> (i don't know how else to look for it)
>
> I plugged in another reportedly good ethernet card into a
> PCI slot and no kernel probe detection there either,
> but do get a green (carrier ?) light,
> but no green light  on the motherboard NIC.
>
> i've googled for 3C940 diagnostics.
> don't know what to do next.
> thanks for your group and any help.........

I have the same motherboard, I had some issues with the card being
detected on
earlier versions of FreeBSD but on 5.2 its been working fine. I seem to
remember
the card not being autodetected but if I loaded the sk module manually
it was
detected right away. In 5.2 I just put "device sk" in my kernel and its
working fine.
It shows up as:

skc0: <3Com 3C940 Gigabit Ethernet> port 0xd800-0xd8ff mem
0xfeafc000-0xfeafffff
irq 22 at device 5.0 on pci2
skc0: 3Com Gigabit LOM (3C940)
sk0: <Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. Yukon> on skc0
sk0: Ethernet address: 00:0c:6e:55:6d:1a
miibus0: <MII bus> on sk0
e1000phy0: <Marvell 88E1000 Gigabit PHY> on miibus0
e1000phy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX,
1000baseTX-FDX, auto