BIND

Joe Lewis joe at joe-lewis.com
Thu Jan 29 19:38:20 PST 2004

Saint Aardvark the Carpeted wrote:

>Evan Sayer disturbed my sleep to write:
>

>>Wondering if there is a way to configure BIND to automatically update a
>>dynamic ip within your own dns?  If not, can anyone recommend a good
>>simple client?
>>

>Depends...are you talking about a DNS server that you're running?
>Google turns up this page as the first hit:
>
>	http://dag.wieers.com/howto/bits/bind-ddns.php
>
>It's based on RedHat Linux, but the principle is the same and it looks
>like it should be easy to FreeBSD-ize.

It is easily done with FreeBSD.  I had it set up on a home network,
doing DHCP to update the DNS with the hostname of the client when
activated.  That way, it was easier to network test certain devices.  Do
a "man bind" (I think that's the man page, can't recall for sure, but it
is there somewhere).

>This is assuming that you're talking about updating a BIND server that
>you control; if you're talking about updating something like
>"myplace.dyndns.org", or some other similar service, you'll want to
>check with them to see what they recommend.

That is true.  If you control BIND, the world is your playground.  You
might also want to take a look at SQLBIND, as it is BIND after being
patched to run off of a database.  That could open up more options if
you wish.

>>Also my isp is roadrunner, and they say that they don't
>>allow web services to be run on dynamic ips.  Do they mean that they
>>block the ports literally or does it just mean they frown upon it?

It means they aren't going to allow dynamic DNS updates to their DNS
servers.  I work for an ISP, and the last thing I want to do is open up
the DNS for dynamic updates.  That becomes a security nightmare.

Joe Lewis