File Corruption

Randy Grafton rgrafton at indatacorp.com
Thu Jan 29 18:34:04 PST 2004

I originally posted this question to the Apache list and was strongly
encouraged to try here.

I have a FreeBSD 4.8 server running Apache 2.0.48a (installed from the
ports). This server is dedicated to hosting files for download through http
and ftp. 99.99% of the downloads occur through http. Our situation is we
have a Win2K server with our primary website on IIS. There are ASP generated
pages that provide links to the files on the FreeBSD/Apache server. The IIS
links are done with a Response.Redirect "http://freebsdServer/dir/file.exe".
I don't know ASP so I'm a little clueless to the difference of this code
compared to a standard html anchor with its href value set to this path/url.
The files on this server vary in size up to 150MB. The files are self
extracting/install demos of some of our products. The problem is that every
so often the large files become corrupted. We'll end up getting a call from
a customer stating that after a couple of download attempts the installer
file crashes. We'll go and grab the file ourselves through ftp/sftp and sure
enough the file is no longer functional and we'll have to replace it with
another copy.

I googled and searched the lists but have only found tips regarding speeding
up http downloads, (reverting to the current Apache 1.3.x version).

Should I be using a database to store the file with it delivered through PHP
scripts? Are there OS or Apache settings that I should have made to
accommodate this purpose? (The config files are pretty plain vanilla).

Thank you for any suggestion,
 -Randy