FreeBSD 5.1 support for Dell Integrated audio?

Melvyn Sopacua freebsd-questions at webteckies.org
Thu Jan 29 15:43:44 PST 2004

On Wednesday 28 January 2004 16:36, Anthony Discolo wrote:

> # Sound card support
> device          pcm             # PCM audio

Add the following:
#
# SMB bus
#
# System Management Bus support is provided by the 'smbus' device.
# Access to the SMBus device is via the 'smb' device (/dev/smb*),
# which is a child of the 'smbus' device.
#
# Supported devices:
# smb           standard io through /dev/smb*
#
# Supported SMB interfaces:
# iicsmb        I2C to SMB bridge with any iicbus interface
# bktr          brooktree848 I2C hardware interface
# intpm         Intel PIIX4 (82371AB, 82443MX) Power Management Unit
# alpm          Acer Aladdin-IV/V/Pro2 Power Management Unit
# ichsmb        Intel ICH SMBus controller chips (82801AA, 82801AB, 82801BA)
# viapm         VIA VT82C586B/596B/686A and VT8233 Power Management Unit
# amdpm         AMD 756 Power Management Unit
# nfpm          NVIDIA nForce Power Management Unit
#
device          smbus           # Bus support, required for smb below.

#device          intpm
#device          alpm
device          ichsmb
#device          viapm
#device          amdpm
#device          nfpm

device          smb

Because:

> pci0: <serial bus, SMBus> at device 31.3 (no driver attached)
> pci0: <multimedia, audio> at device 31.5 (no driver attached)

I'm not saying this will work, but it'll at least register the SMBus, which
might clear some issues for the audio card.

These lines we're taken from /sys/conf/NOTES, which together
with /sys/$your_arch/conf/NOTES pretty much makes up the old "LINT" file in
previous FreeBSD releases.

--
Melvyn

FreeBSD sarevok.idg.nl 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #0: Wed Jan 28 18:01:18
CET 2004
root at sarevok.lan.webteckies.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SAREVOK_NOAPM_NODEBUG
i386