Logitech Cordless/Optical USB mouse

Jonathan Heaney jonathan.heaney at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jan 29 13:55:16 PST 2004

Hi,

I've been trying for a few days to get FreeBSD on my workstation (been
running it for a couple of years on my gateway/router box), but it just
does not like my mouse (a Logitech MouseMan).

I've seen other posts in this mailing list, and freebsd-current, and
through googling found other people who seem to have this problem too.
I know a workaround is to use a USB->PS/2 converter and use the receiver
in PS/2 mode, but I've 'misplaced' the converter that came with the mouse.

Tried FreeBSD 4.9 and 5.2 -releases, and updated 5.2 to -current last
night, but no luck with any of them.

I've read through the other recommendations and can confirm that the
usbd daemon is starting, and that it also spawns moused, but there is no
pointer movement, and when I kill moused and cat /dev/ums0 I don't get
symbols appearing onscreen when I move the mouse.

The motherboard has ohci and ehci host controllers, when I use a kernel
with ohci only, it appears that usbd kicks in correctly, but the mouse
does nothing.  When I use ehci only it says /dev/ums0 device not found,
and when I use a kernel with both ohci and ehci it says /dev/ums0 device
busy.

The relevant section of dmesg output looks like this-

uhub0: nVidia OHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
ums0: Logitech USB Receiver, rev 1.10/13.10, addr 3, iclass 3/1
ums0: 5 buttons and Z dir.

 From the information gathering I've done it appears that FreeBSD just
doesn't like this receiver (although I'd gladly be proven wrong), and if
that is the case, my question would then become 'where do I go now/what
can I do to try and get this problem resolved?'

Jonathan