5.1 -> 5.2 disaster

Michael Clark MClark at Nemschoff.com
Thu Jan 29 12:49:44 PST 2004

First off, this is not a hardware problem!  It crashes at the exact same
spot over and over on multiple different commands.

I had a 5.1 - 5.2 upgrade via cvsup that went terribly wrong.  The machine
got rebooted and certain things would no longer work.  I cannot get a make
world, or make buildworld to work.  Errors on on the mtree command with:

mtree -deU -f /usr/src/etc/mtree/BSD.include.dist  -p
/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include
*** Signal 12

When I try the line manually I get:

bash-2.05b# mtree -deU -f /usr/src/etc/mtree/BSD.include.dist  -p
/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include
Bad system call (core dumped)

I have tried brining in a new kernel and /usr/bin and /usr/src from another
machine.  The problems just seem to get worse
Before we were only dumping on sendmail, now I have:

<snip>
pid 421 (sendmail), uid 25: exited on signal 12
pid 436 (cron), uid 0: exited on signal 12 (core dumped)
pid 509 (mysqld), uid 88: exited on signal 12
pid 534 (bandwidthd), uid 0: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)
pid 585 (man), uid 0: exited on signal 12 (core dumped)
pid 747 (mtree), uid 0: exited on signal 12 (core dumped)
pid 860 (sendmail), uid 25: exited on signal 12
pid 865 (sendmail), uid 25: exited on signal 12
<snip>
pid 880 (smbd), uid 1006: exited on signal 12
<snip>
pid 923 (ftpd), uid 1006: exited on signal 12
pid 1018 (mtree), uid 0: exited on signal 12 (core dumped)
pid 1110 (mtree), uid 0: exited on signal 12 (core dumped)
pid 1111 (man), uid 0: exited on signal 12 (core dumped)
<snip>

Now, this is all messed up, We did save the original kernel, and the
/usr/bin and /usr/src

I was wondering...  Can I use the sysinstall upgrade option off a CD boot to
repair this??  If so what do I have to do since I have already been running
cvsup upgrades?  Sysinstall complained about this when I tried.

Open to suggestions!

Desperately seeking help,
Michael

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This electronic transmission, including all
attachments, is directed in confidence solely to the person(s) to whom it is
addressed, or an authorized recipient, and may not otherwise be distributed,
copied or disclosed. The contents of the transmission may also be subject to
intellectual property rights and all such rights are expressly claimed and
are not waived. If you have received this transmission in error, please
notify the sender immediately by return electronic transmission and then
immediately delete this transmission, including all attachments, without
copying, distributing or disclosing same.