Booting with 80 Gig hard drive

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mine.nu
Thu Jan 29 09:54:35 PST 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:37:39 +0200
rk47 <rk at nanoteq.co.za> wrote:

> Hi FreeBSD'ers
>
> I have a problem with booting from FreeBSD 4.8/4.9 and 5.2, they all
> gave the same error. I have an 80Gig Seagate HD with a Pentium 4, Epox
> motherboard and Phoenix version 2.2 BIOS.
> [...]
> I use Boot Manager with Windows XP on the first part of the HD and
> FreeBSD on the second part of the partition.

If your Windows XP partition is bigger than 500 megabytes, you should
probably take the following into account:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/install.html#DISK-DIVIDE-RESTRICTIONS

btw, there is an option to boot0cfg ('packet') which can work around
this limitation, but I don't know how well it works.

-Chris