Retired Linux user wants to switch

Peter Ulrich Kruppa root at pukruppa.de
Thu Jan 29 03:16:23 PST 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Mike Machuidel wrote:

> I've been using Linux for about 7 years. At the
> beginning the Linux community was still very small and
> very little people ever heard about it or even knew
> what is was. Many people called me crazy/stupid/dumb
> because I wasn't using Windows and told me I would
> never find a job as a programmer. Now everyone
> suddenly thinks I'm cool :S and ask if I could install
> Linux for them.
>
> All these years I've seen Linux grow. I helped people
> on IRC while more and more users were coming with
> their questions. Yesterday I decided to go back to the
> IRC channel, after about 4 years, to ask a question
> about USB (I'm not really into USB). What happened
> really turned me off. They called me "a troll", that I
> should "go back to Windows", I'm "too dumb to use
> Linux" and because I told them "I've been on this
> channel even before you began using Linux" they kicked
> me off. This is 1 of the many examples.
As far as I remember, Bill Gates, not known as a linux friend,
called FreeBSD "cool". I don't know, if that helps, but you are
welcome anyway :-)

For the rest of your questions: I would just give a 4.9 -RELEASE
standard installation a try.
Most startup questions are answered in
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook
All 10000 known applications can be browsed and installed via the
ports-collection (also --> handbook).

Have fun.

Uli.