Dynamic Router IP.

Peter Risdon peter at circlesquared.com
Wed Jan 28 07:59:27 PST 2004

Bjorn Eikeland wrote:

> På Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:10:25 +0300, skrev Marwan Sultan
> <Admin at kifco.net>:
>

>> Hello everyone,
>>
>>    I have FreeBSD 4.8-R as a NATd ipfw enable behind a DSL router.
>>    The router calling the internet and giving the connection 2the bsd
>> box.
>>    BSD box does the rest for my LAN.
>>
>>    I redirect the port 22 from the router to my FreeBSD LAN box.
>> 192.168.1.1
>>
>>    The problem is DSL each time calls the internet has a new 'real IP'
>>    so I cannot know the ip IF im at home, then i cannot access the
>> box from
>>    outside the LAN.
>>
>>    Question is:
>>    Is there a way to configure the FreeBSD box to send an auto email for
>>    me each time the router has a new 'real IP' ?
>>
>>    For sure by somehow the BSD box knows about the new ip for router.
>>
>>    Thank you very much in advance.
>>

>> --
>> Marwan Sultan
>

> Why send a email, when you can go to www.no-ip.com and register
> yourself a dynamic dns entry, and thus you can alwaus access your
> freeBSD box using marwan.no-ip.com or something similar. After
> registering you just need to install a daemon that automatically
> updates the ddns every now and then. I use this for the dial up
> gateway at home so I can check up on now the box is holding up with in
> its harsh enviornment (i.e. my brothers) - and it works great.
>
> hth

I thought that too at first. But then I realised - hopefully correctly -
that it's his dsl router that gets the dynamic ip address, not the
freebsd box. Presumably, the router has a static 192.168.1.x address
facing the LAN and the freebsd box uses this as its gateway. I doubt you
can install a daemon on the router.

And, if this is right, I can't see how the freebsd machine would know
what ip address had been allocated to the external pppoe  or pppoa
interface of the router.

If I'm setting up a network with this type of topology, I always ask the
isp for a small static ip address range.

PWR.