diskless boot: console via serial port?

Rob nospam at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 28 06:55:56 PST 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to get diskless boot working, but I'm struggling.
I have two FreeBSD PCs, of which one is diskless. I have only
one monitor, so I'm continuesly reconnecting the monitor from
one PC to the other, to see what either the server or client
is doing.

Ideally I would like to monitor the boot process of the diskless
client on the server via the serial port console. However, I do
not seem to get that right.

I am quite familiar with making installation disks for serial boot,
by creating the boot.config on the floppy. But how does that
translate to the diskless situation?

Once I have this working, it'll be much easier for me to further
investigate the diskless boot problems.

Thanks,
Rob.