Setting up X with an unknown monitor and video adapter

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Wed Jan 28 05:50:21 PST 2004

Hi, folks,

	I've moved on up to 4.9 and, along with my continuing mouse problems,
am a bit scared of setting up X. I've got an older monitor, an Apple
Multiple Scan 1705, and a video adapter that doesn't appear to be in
the supported list, an Intel 82810. (There's an Intel 810, but not an
82810, in the setup menu.) The warnings I see about possibly frying
monitors by getting scan rates wrong have me a bit spooked. The manual
for the monitor gives various scan rates for various modes of
operation--I was thinking about putting a range in that was a bit lower
on the low end than the lowest listed entry, and a bit lower on the
high end than the highest listed entry.

	Any thoughts? I wouldn't mind explicit instructions, but guided
self-help would be ideal.

Thanks,

	John A