Migrating 5.2 from Pentium 4 to Athlon MP

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Tue Jan 27 11:51:58 PST 2004

On Tuesday 27 January 2004 09:10 am, Ihsan Junaidi wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a server currently running on a Pentium 4 box. Yesterday I
> bought an AMD 762 MPX chipset to go with two Athlon MP 2000+. The
> production server is running FreeBSD 5.2, a GENERIC with additional
> SCSI/RAID controllers trimmed off.
>
> The kernel and all of the userland + ports were built with -march=p4
> flags and I am wondering if there's any way I can just plug the disk
> into the Athlon box without rebuilding everything with the exception
> of the world+kernel. FYI, the kernel is SMP-aware.
>
> How does the -march flag effect the userland programs? I am aware
> that only OpenSSL is capable of taking advantage of specific CPU
> instructions but other than that?

Rebuild your system with out the cpu flags in make.conf. It is too
likely that there is cpu specific stuff in userland libraries that were
linked to your builds. I have moved from P-IIIs to AMDs without
problems. I also don't use the cpu flag on systems that I may NFS mount
to rebuild one of the other systems with. I have recovered systems by
doing a NFS mount and and installkernel and installworld. I wouldn't
have even tried if they had been built with a cpu option.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA