[kinda ot] writing the date into a file when saving it

mcabanatuan at wi.rr.com mcabanatuan at wi.rr.com
Mon Jan 26 16:15:09 PST 2004

as far as I know there is a check-in/check-out system in FreeBSD and other UNIX
systems(rcs or revision control system) that allow you to add a $Tag to a file and it will be processed as such. iirc, you use co/ci file. then edit then check it back in.

Taken from _Absolute BSD_ by; Michael Lucas -
"Begin the revision-control process by checking in a file with ci(1), which is much like giving a book to the library. For example, a good file to protect with RCS is /etc/rc.conf. To start the RCS process, enter ci <path/filename>" -

There is an excellent description on usage of this system in that book, but
it's a bit drafted to post to the list. But there is a tag you can use in the
file, $Id$, that shows time of last save/edit, who did it, and what version it's at.

Hope that helps you any.

Cheers,
marc