winbind under 5.2

Will Saxon WillS at housing.ufl.edu
Mon Jan 26 12:18:46 PST 2004

Heloo,

I am trying to use the winbind functions of Samba on a 5.2-RELEASE system. I am able to enumerate users and groups per the documentation using wbinfo -u/-g, although while the examples show the output as being 'DOMAIN+user' or 'DOMAIN+group' I do not see the 'DOMAIN' part.

I have copied the pam_winbind and nss_winbind modules to appropriate places and have confirmed that libnss_winbind is in the cache. I have nsswitch.conf edited properly. I have winbindd loaded, etc. however I am not able to assign permissions using domain accounts and I am not able to resolve domain password entries via pw.

I am trying to use this combination (FreeBSD/Samba) instead of Win2k Server for our file server needs, but I need to be able to set permissions for roaming user profiles and shared directories as we depend heavily on a terminal server/thin client environment.

Relevant portions of my smb.conf file:

[global]
netbios name = samba
workgroup = <NT_DOMAIN_NAME>
realm = <DNS.DOMAIN.SUFFIX>
security = ADS
encrypt passwords = yes
password server = <dns name of a global catalog domain controller>
winbind separator = +
idmap uid = 10000-20000
idmap gid = 10000-20000
winbind enum users = yes