"No disks found!" in Sysinstall despite of supported IDE Controller

Ben Koopmanschap koopmanschap at home.nl
Mon Jan 26 12:05:02 PST 2004

Hello Everybody!

I have a Pentium 4 2,66 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB UDMA HardDisk which in
Linux is recognized to have a Intel 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller
(IDE). For more details about the chipset and other things, one can
eventually visit:

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845gbv/matrix.htm

(please see the right column).

On my Hard Disk I have the following partition scheme:

1st primary partition --> Fedora Core 1 (Linux)
2nd primary partition --> Swap Partition
3rd primary partition --> Linux From Scratch
4th partition --> extended partition
5th logical partition --> Swap
6th logical partition --> Linux From Scratch (for experimental purposes)
7th logical partition --> Swap
8th logical partition --> Linux From Scratch (for experimental purposes
either)
9th logical partition --> Swap

I am bothering you with this scheme because I'm not quite sure it has to
do with my problem, but maybe the information will help you to assist
me.;)

AFAIK, my hardware is supported by FreeBSD 4.9 and 5.2.

I downloaded the iso's of both the releases of FreeBSD (4.9 and 5.2),
burnt them on CD-ROM and tried to install a FreeBSD on my system.

Unfortunately, with both releases I totally get stuck when I in
Sysinstall choose for "Begin a standard installation.." After Sysintall
said to me it is going to try to find my hard disk, I get the error
message:

"No disks found! ..." (followed by the message that I have to check if
my storage controller was properly been probed by the kernel). After
several attempts and having seen the kernel coming up, I ensured myself
that the kernel probed my controller properly. Though my hard disk is
not recognized!

Of course I have tried to enable/disable several drivers in the kernel
configuration menu (which I only was able to with the 4.9 - release),
but none of all tried combinations did work.

I start to get a little desperate now, so I hope very hopefully that
someone on this list can point me in the right direction.

Thanks anyway for your attention!

With regards,

Ben Koopmanschap