CVSup and portupgrade?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Jan 25 03:19:01 PST 2004

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 02:14:08AM -0800, Vanh wrote:

> I'm a FreeBSD newbie. Just got it installed last weekend. I have read
> the FreeBSD handbook, but still have some question. What is the
> different between cvsup and portupgrade? Do I need to use both? If not,
> which one is better?

You need both.  cvsup(1) will synchronise the ports tree with the
latest version -- that's all the Makefiles and stuff that are used to
build ports, not the actual ports themselves.  portupgrade(1) uses the
files downloaded by cvsup(1) to build and install ports or to update
any previously installed ports where there is a newer version
available.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way