Problem With Configuring Name Servers

Micheal Patterson micheal at tsgincorporated.com
Sat Jan 24 14:47:26 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerard Seibert" <gerard-seibert at rcn.com>
To: <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2004 4:40 PM
Subject: Problem With Configuring Name Servers

> I am fairly new to BSD. I seem to be having a problem setting up my name
servers correctly.

> I have the following in the resolv.conf file:
>
> domain rcn.com
> nameserver 207.172.3.8
> nameserver 207.172.3.9
>
> The following entry is in the re.conf file
>
> ifconfig_rl0="DHCP"
>
> Everything, including nslookup, etc works fine until I reboot. Then the
files are over written. The resolv.conf file then has the following entries:

> search cable.rcn.com
> nameserver 192.168.0.1
>
> Obviously, I am doing something incorrectly here. Why are these files
being rewritten upon rebooting of the machine, and how do I stop it. I have
a cable connection that uses "DHCP" . I have the latest release of FreeBSD
5.2 installed.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Gerard Seibert
> gerard-seibert at rcn.com

In /etc there will be a file called dhclient.conf. If it doesn't exist,
create it and add the following:

interface "rl0" {
prepend domain-name-servers 207.172.3.8;
prepend domain-name-servers 207.172.3.9;
request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, routers, domain-name-servers ;
require subnet-mask, broadcast-address, routers ;
}

What this will do is take the information that is provided during the dhcp
initialization and add the above to the information it recieves from the
server. If you don't want to use any of the name servers provided by dhcpd,
remote the domain-name-servers portion from the request entry. If you need
any further specifics, check out man dhclient.conf for other options to add
to this file.  I think that this will do what you're looking for though.

--

Micheal Patterson
Network Administration