Why BSD?

Micheal Patterson micheal at tsgincorporated.com
Sat Jan 24 14:41:23 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jesse Guardiani" <jesse at wingnet.net>
To: <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2004 3:26 PM
Subject: Re: Why BSD?

> Jeff Elkins wrote:
>
> > This is not a troll.
> >
> > I've installed FreeBSD 5.2 on a spare SCSI drive and am compiling
kernels,
> > updating ports, etc,etc. Thus far, other than some minor hassles, it's
> > equivilent to my Debian sid.
> >
> > I have to ask: Why FreeBSD rather than Linux?
> >
> > Honest question.
>
> For me, this question has been answered twice in different attempts to
"give
> linux a try". I'm a Sys Admin, and we run FreeBSD almost exclusively at
work.
> However, every new employee we hire walks into the building with an
attitude
> that Linux is somehow better than FreeBSD because they're heard so much
about
> it and haven't heard anything about FreeBSD. So, on two separate
occasions, I
> decided to "give linux a try". Both ended miserably:

For me, this is what severely soured my stomach to Linux.

I ran Redhat quite a few years ago for about 3 months. Granted, it wasn't as
easy as it is now. This version had no gui installer and you had to know the
ftp site location to point the installer to back then. FreeBSD wasn't much
easier at the time as I recall so that was not really an issue. Well, I then
I decided that I wanted to learn bind. But the OS version of course wasn't
current so I went and grabbed the rpm for my version of linux that was
current. I then went to uninstall the existing system bind portion and it
gave an error that permission was denied. I was logged in from console as
root, and it wouldn't allow me to uninstall it, nor would it allow me to
install over it or upgrade it. So, I blew it away.

--

Micheal Patterson
Network Administration