Why BSD?

Andrew L. Gould algould at datawok.com
Sat Jan 24 03:04:31 PST 2004

On Friday 23 January 2004 10:40 pm, Jeff Elkins wrote:
> This is not a troll.
>
> I've installed FreeBSD 5.2 on a spare SCSI drive and am compiling kernels,
> updating ports, etc,etc. Thus far, other than some minor hassles, it's
> equivilent to my Debian sid.
>
> I have to ask: Why FreeBSD rather than Linux?
>
> Honest question.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

That's a question to which  each individual will have a valid, different
answer.

I think there are "styles" of operating system organization that are
compatible with different user mentalities.  I could never get an intuitive
feel for running/configuring RedHat; and yet there are so many users that
swear by it.  I could use YAST; but hated the fact that it would overwrite my
manual configuration changes.  I was comfortable with Slackware; but manually
searching for dependencies for apps not included in the distro sucked.  Being
comfortable with Slackware, testing FreeBSD was the logical next step.  Based
upon my own use of the computer (multitasking while performing clinical data
analysis using PostgreSQL), I found that FreeBSD was more robust.
Specifically, apps would become visibly sluggish in Linux while FreeBSD
remained very responsive.

...and then there's the license issue -- let's agree to disagree; and let it
stop there.

Your issues and answers will be much different than mine; but just as valid.
"YMMV" has never been more true.  Choice is as important as a practical issue
as it is as a principle.

Best regards,

Andrew Gould