freebsd 4.8 and the spamassassin 2.6x port

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Jan 24 02:21:54 PST 2004

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 07:13:02PM -0600, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> Why perl 5.8?  My 5.2 machine is running postfix, perl 5.6.1 and amavisd-new
> without any trouble at all.

perl-5.8.2 is the official stable and recommended version of perl by
the perl developers.  Actually, I tell a lie -- it's perl-5.8.3 now,
but that hasn't hit the ports tree yet.

I'm not sure why the ports are arranged such that lang/perl5 gives you
an older version of perl, and lang/perl5.8 gives you the latest --
rather than having lang/perl5.6 and lang/perl5.  Probably historical
reasons, although I think there is still an issue in perl-5.8.x to do
with using the system malloc vs. the malloc built into perl which can
sometimes (but not always) lead to performance troubles or memory
leaks (depending which one you choose), which is why perl-5.6.1 is
preferred by some.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way