Adaptec 2400A Performance

Rishi Chopra rchopra at cal.berkeley.edu
Fri Jan 23 21:52:39 PST 2004

I've run some imperical tests on the Adaptec 2400A raid controller
(results and setup can be seen here):

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~rchopra/RaidResults.html

I was rather disappointed with the results.  Can anyone suggest what
might be causing such slow disk speeds, or whether these speeds are out
of the ordinary for a 4-disk FreeBSD RAID5 installation?  I have done
nothing to configure the card aside from striping the array in BIOS;
FreeBSD seems to automatically detect the disks.

I once ran a 2-disk RAID-0 installation on Win2k which was 6-7 times
faster on sequential read/write tests (60-70MB/sec), hence my dismay.

--
Rishi Chopra
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~rchopra