Why BSD?

Jonathan T. Sage sagejona at theatre.msu.edu
Fri Jan 23 21:41:47 PST 2004

Chris wrote:

> On Friday 23 January 2004 10:40 pm, Jeff Elkins wrote:
>
>>>This is not a troll.
>>>
>>>I've installed FreeBSD 5.2 on a spare SCSI drive and am compiling kernels,
>>>updating ports, etc,etc. Thus far, other than some minor hassles, it's
>>>equivilent to my Debian sid.
>>>
>>>I have to ask: Why FreeBSD rather than Linux?
>>>
>>>Honest question.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>Jeff
>>>

> Show us your feet! If they are Hobbit-like, it's a Troll *Laffs*

Hah!

Honestly though Jeff - You sound like an experienced user, at the risk
of starting the war again, It really boils down to a lot of personal
preference.  We use freebsd because we like freebsd, we like the
communitiy, etc, etc, etc.  My choice boils down to 2 things.

/usr/ports/.../... # make install

and

/usr/src # make world(ish)

 From the server standpoint, if you know what your doing, given enough
time, you can do pretty much anything you could want to with either.

~jon

--
"Yesterday upon the stair I saw a man
who wasn't there, he wasn't there