freebsd 4.8 and the spamassassin 2.6x port

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Jan 23 11:05:44 PST 2004

On Jan 23, 2004, at 1:07 PM, Michael Whitley wrote:
> I have read through the archives and seen that newer versions of
> Spamassassin have fits with freebsd because of an outdated perl
> version. I noticed that there is a SpamAssassin 2.6 port out for
> freeBSD 4.9 but was wondering if anyone has had success with
> installing it on a 4.8 system?

FreeBSD 4.8 should be recent enough that you can use a modern ports
tree without the CONFLICTS feature causing problems, so use CVSUP to
update your ports tree to the current version.  From there, install
/usr/ports/lang/perl5.8, and then run "use.perl port".

That should give you the latest version of Perl, from which you can
then install the p5-Mail-SpamAssassin port (or spamass-milter, or
amavisd, or whatever).  You can also try installing the software via
"perl -MCPAN -e shell \;", and do an "install Mail::SpamAssassin", but
the ports mechanism is better tested.

--
-Chuck