recommendation for disk sector editor

Lee_Shackelford at dot.ca.gov Lee_Shackelford at dot.ca.gov
Fri Jan 23 09:51:53 PST 2004

Good morning, FreeBSD enthusiasts,

Would you wish to recommend a disk sector editor program?  I am looking for
something that provides functionality similar to Microsoft DskProbe, but
not requiring a graphics user interface, and most importantly, does not
require any operating system support beyond that which can be loaded from a
floppy diskette.  It would be used on a computer with contemporary Intel
architecture.  I am interested in accessing things such as the boot record,
partition table, FAT, directories, i-nodes, and other similar parts of the
hard drive.  The type of display that a tool such as PCTools, or XTGold has
would be great; however each of these accesses files, not sectors, and
neither work with contemporary gigabyte drives.  Surprisingly, I was unable
to identify any such program at the GNU site.  Any suggestions would be
appreciated.  Yours truly, Lee Shackelford   L e e underscore S h a c k e l
f o r d dot d o t dot c a dot g o v