How do I get into GUI?

Claude Martin claude_martin_41 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 23 07:21:14 PST 2004

Hi, my name is Claude, and I'm new to FreeBSD. I've installed it on a hard
drive by itself, and I get it to boot. The install seemed to have completed
without a glitch.

My problem is that I expected the booting process to finish in the graphical
user interface. Instead, it stops at a CLI prompt. Maybe I did something
wrong. I tried re-configuring by booting off the CD, and I selected KDE as
my user interface. But something in the configuration goes wrong, and it
tells me to select a simpler interface. I've tried a couple of the others,
with the same result.

I did not modify anything in the kernel. Is that the problem? My computer
has a Soho P4X400 Dragon Lite MB, an Intel Celeron 2.2 GHz processor, 256 MB
of DDR400 memory, an Nvidia GeForce2 video card, and otherwise runs Win2000
and WinXP Pro flawlessly.

I've read all sorts of help files, but am still pretty lost. Can you advise
me as to how to proceed from here? Is there a forum I can post this to?

Thank you very much!

Claude