VMware 3 crashes 5.2 system

Dany Nativel dany_list at natzo.com
Fri Jan 23 06:14:11 PST 2004

Vmware3 worked for me under 5.2RC2... I haven't tried on 5.2 Release
yet.   The only thing that never worked was the full screen mode using
either "nvidia" or "nv" driver.

You can find some tips for installing VMWARE under FreeBSD at :
http://www.packetwatch.net/documents/papers/vmware2.txt

Here is what I did (comes from the link above and other sources... sorry
for the lack of copyright notice) :

Install Linux-base first (should be installed)
# cd /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base
# make install && make clean

add to /etc/fstab
linproc /compat/linux/proc linprocfs rw 0 0

add to etc/sysctl.conf
kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed=1

add to /etc/rc.conf
gateway_enable="YES"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="OPEN"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="vr0"            #physical ethernet card... put your own
natd_flags=""

Now, we will set the firewall rules. Before we set the firewall rules
make a
backup of the /etc/rc.firewall file. Clear everything from the rc.firewall
file. Add the following to the file:

        fwcmd="/sbin/ipfw"
        ${fwcmd} -f flush
        ${fwcmd} add divert natd all from any to any via
vr0                   <----- again replace vr0 with your physical interface
        ${fwcmd} add pass all from any to any

edit Kernel config file
options IPFIREWALL
options IPDIVERT
options VFS_AIO   #  ----> you can also use aio_load="YES" in loader.conf
options SYSVSHM   # should already be there
options SYSVMSG   # should already be there
options SYSVSEM   # should already be there

Recompile kernel, install, reboot

Install using ports.
# cd /usr/ports/emulators/vmware3
# make install
        1) Do you want to use netgraph bridging? Yes/No
                Answer No
        2) What will the IP address of your host on your private network?
                I like to use 192.168.2.1
        3) What will be the netmask of your private network?
                I like to use 255.255.255.0
In VMware Configuration Editor, change Ethernet Adapter to 'Host-only'

Edit .cfg file of the virtual machine.
vmnet1.hostOnlyAddress = "192.168.254.1"
vmnet1.hostOnlyNetmask = "255.255.255.0"

--> vmnet1.hostOnlyAddress should be the same as the vmnet1 interface
(use "ifconfig" to get it).

In the virtual machine, statically configure IPaddress to an IP address
on the same network (i.e. 192.168.254.2) and the netmask should be the
same as above. Set default gateway to 192.168.254.1. Add in DNS servers,
and you should be ready to surf the web or whatnot from within your
virtual machine.
After the installation is complete type:

# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/vmware.sh start

Now, run ifconfig to see the new interface: vmnet1. Then, run kldstat to
make sure the proper modules are running for VMware. You should see:
        vmmon_up.ko
        if_tap.ko
        linux.ko

Then you should be able to start vmware, enter the license information
and configure your VM.