Domain name for local network?

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Thu Jan 22 11:38:58 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 07:32:36PM +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> If I have a couple of boxes in a home network that connects to the Internet
> via ppp, is there any way I can name my network?  I don't want to register
> a name, just use it locally.  This way I can refer to 'neptune.jonathon.org'
> or something similar rather than '10.0.0.1'.

You can name it anything you like. If it were me, I'd set up an
internal DNS which is authoritative for the local domain name you've
chosen. That way it'll pick up the local machines for the domain-name
but still work for non-local domains.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>                    Once is dumb luck.