sendmail help?

Micheal Patterson micheal at tsgincorporated.com
Thu Jan 22 09:15:54 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Seaman" <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk>
To: "fbsd_user" <fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com>
Cc: "Dinesh Nair" <dinesh at alphaque.com>; "Adam Bozanich"
<abozan01 at ccsf.edu>; <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 10:57 AM
Subject: Re: sendmail help?

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 11:43:45AM -0500, fbsd_user wrote:

>>                    I believe the original poster was asking about
>> using sendmail to retrieve email from his ISP's smtp server.  And
>> it's still a lot easier to install fetchmail than to reinstall
>> sendmail.

>The OP said:
>
>> I have a dial up DSL account that gives me an outgoing smtp account that
>> requires smtp authentication.
>>
>Which part of "outgoing" are you having difficulty understanding?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew
>
> --
> Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       26 The Paddocks
>                                                      Savill Way
> PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey         Marlow
> Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Bucks., SL7 1TH UK

Apparently he's having trouble understanding a number of things lately and
I'm beginning to wonder if he's a troll or not.

To assist the OP on this issue, check out this link:

http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html#DefaultAuthInfo

Within that site, it will give you assistance in setting up sendmail to act
as an smtp client using smtp-auth.

<snippet>

DefaultAuthInfo (confDEF_AUTH_INFO)
specifies a file in which the authorization identity, the authentication
identity, the secret, and the realm to be used for authentication are
stored. This file must be in a safe directory and unreadable by everyone
except root (or TrustedUser). It is used when sendmail acts as a client to
authenticate itself to a server. Example:
admin
admin
MySecretPassword
example.domain

Notes: all data is case sensitive (usually) and the entire line is used in
each case (including any white space!).
recommended filename: /etc/mail/default-auth-info

</snippet>

I trust this is what the OP's original intentions were.

--

Micheal Patterson
TSG Network Administration

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is
message.