local mail delivery

me me at wizkid.homeip.net
Thu Jan 22 08:21:28 PST 2004

Fetchmail retrieves mail from remote mail servers and forwards it via
SMTP, so it can then be read by normal mail user agents such as mutt,
elm(1) or BSD Mail. It allows all your system MTA's filtering,
forwarding, and aliasing facilities to work just as they would on normal
mail.

in short: it is fetched and inserted into your mta

taken from http://www.catb.org/~esr/fetchmail/

greetings
ruediger