Port Forwarding

Rishi Chopra rchopra at cal.berkeley.edu
Thu Jan 22 03:56:03 PST 2004

James,

I've configured my Win2k box to contact DNS directly, and both Direct
Connect and VNC Server are running smoothly (port forwarding is being
accomplished (per your suggestion) by natd.conf).

I've set the firewall type to 'OPEN' (the Win2k client has ZoneAlarm
protection of its own); this is truly the only sticking point.  I'm
under the impression that selecting 'SIMPLE' rather than 'OPEN' provides
an additional layer of protection to the gateway by preventing certain
spoofing attacks.  Unfortunately, I seem unable to switch the firewall
type without crippling my Win2k box's functionality.  Perhaps I'll give
it a go again sometime in the future.

Here's a copy of the relevant files:

//natd.conf

unregistered_only
interface rl0
use_sockets
dynamic
redirect_port tcp 192.168.0.2:5800 5800
redirect_port tcp 192.168.0.2:5900 5900
redirect_port tcp 192.168.0.2:412 412
redirect_port tcp 192.168.0.2:1412 1412
punch_fw 2000:50

//rc.conf

gateway_enable="YES"
hostname="usha.dyndns.org"
ifconfig_rl0="DHCP"
ifconfig_rl1="inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
kern_securelevel_enable="NO"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="OPEN"
# firewall_type="SIMPLE"