ideas for an old BSD laptop?

anubis anubis357 at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jan 22 01:24:06 PST 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 8:36 am, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I haven't used my infamous Toshiba Satellite with FreeBSD 4.8 very much
> since I got my desktop system with a flatscreen.  I'm trying to think of
> something interesting to do with it now.  I don't really need a separate
> firewall, and it doesn't make sense to use it as a fileserver.  With a ppp
> connection, it couldn't easily be a webserver either.
>
> Any ideas on something interesting to use it for?  Maybe some kind of
> learning experience?
>
> NOTE: Please CC me, as I am not currently subscribed.  Thanks.
>
> jm

We have an old laptop and are going to turn it into a music on hold service
for our pabx.

Will be uploading files to it via ftp and running a cron job to list all files
in the ftp directory and start playing them.  People can listen while on hold
or we can listen in on the loudspeaker on the phone.

There are plenty of command line driven players out there I am sure.