Imap Server and Procmail

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Wed Jan 21 08:32:31 PST 2004

Matthew Seaman told a big fish story including the following on
1/21/2004 1:26 AM:

>On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 11:22:25PM -0800, Loren M. Lang wrote:
>

>>On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 06:22:33PM +1300, Jonathan Chen wrote:
>>

>>>On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 06:18:07PM -0800, Loren M. Lang wrote:
>>>
>>>[...]
>>>>

>>>You need to build the mail/imap-uw port and the underlying mail/cclient
>>>with -DWITH_SSL_AND_PLAINTEXT.
>>>

>>Will this require SSL for using plaintext or can I avoid SSL?  This is
>>for a company migrating from a windoze mail server to a unix-based
>>solution and I don't want to have to install a homemade CA cert on all
>>the 40+ computers there.
>>

>No, you misunderstand.  mail/cclient defaults to doing SSL-ized stuff,
>and this option adds back the ability to work in plaintext.
>
>Even so, you can run IMAPS (encrypted IMAP, uses port 993) and access
>it via MS Outlook quite happily, without having to install
>certificates all over the place.

However, you will have to teach your users to accept the "security
certificate cannot be verified" message at the beginning of a mail
session.   This has proved a difficult concept for a few of my users.
It seems there should be some way to teach Outlook to accept it
permanently but I have not been able to do so.  If you find a solution
to this, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Cheers,

Drew