Upgrade procedure question

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Jan 21 07:56:43 PST 2004

John Adams wrote:

> Hi, folks,
>
>     I decided my minor problems (a couple I've posted, a couple I
> haven't) might be solved by doing what I should've already done,
> namely, upgrading from 4.6 to 4.9.
>
>     I'm looking at the text of INSTALL.TXT right now, and I've got a
> question which, if it weren't so basic, would probably be a FAQ: Does
> the install really copy all of the old /etc to some new location which
> you are prompted to define at the time of the upgrade? That's what it
> seems to say, but I'd feel foolish having gotten it wrong.
>
>     If that's really true, then I'm ready to go--but if it's not, then
> I'm potentially in a world of hurt, having a lot of stuff stuck in
> /etc (both config files and stuff I've put there for safekeeping
> during the upgrade) that I really don't want to lose.
>
> Thanks,
>
>     John A

What "install" do you mean?

Upgrading a la:

a. cvsup new source
b. make buildworld
c. make buildkernel
d. make installkernel
e.  reboot and make installworld

doesn't touch /etc.  That's a job for mergemaster,
which AFAICT puts the "new" /etc/ stuff under
/tmp and then does diffs and asks you what to do
with them....

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey