ipfw/nated stateful rules example

fbsd_user fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Wed Jan 21 05:29:35 PST 2004

You must have missed reading some parts of the thread. The problem
is not whether you just do keep-state on the public side or the
private side, it's with doing keep-state on both sides at the same
time from within ipfw along with using divert statement.

The stated problem is
ipfw1 and ipfw2 does not work when keep-state rules are used on an
single interface along with divert/nated.
They do work if divert/nated is not used and user ppp nat is used to
perform the nat function.

As far as the question of using keep-state rules on both the private
and public interfaces this is cross population of the single
stateful table and returning packets are being matched to entries in
the stateful table which do not belong to the interface the original
enter was posted from. This is an logic error and invalidates the
function of the purpose of the whole stateful concept.