Proper way to upgrade OpenSSH on FreeBSD 4.9

Joerg Pernfuss elessar at galgenberg.net
Tue Jan 20 11:49:54 PST 2004

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:50:06 -0800
Jason Williams <jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com> wrote:

> My question is, what is the proper method in doing so?
> I see that, currently in the ports tree, openssh 3.7.1p2 is available
> for install.
> There is also the possibility of installing from source.
> I would think that using the ports tree may be a very good option, as
> you can upgrade later with portupgrade.

>From ports should be better imho. It's a source install too.
Additionally it is automated and integrated.

> With that in mind, what is the best method in doing this?

You have (at least) two possibilities when installing from ports.
a) "normal" installation
will install the new sshd to /usr/local/sbin/ and leave the old version
as it is. then change rc.conf :
 sshd_program="/usr/local/sbin/sshd"
 sshd_flags="-f /usr/local/etc/ssh/sshd_config"
or whereever you install the files to.
This way you can change back to the old version by changing the rc.conf
back to its defaults.

b) "overwrite" installation
specify OPENSSH_OVERWRITE_BASE (check the Makefile, but that should be
it) when installing the port. This overwrites the old base system sshd.
No need for rc.conf changes, but be sure to define NO_OPENSSH= YES in
your make.conf - otherwise the next buildworld will overwrite your
port installed sshd again.

Joerg