Mozilla: changing IP w/o restarting

Dan Pelleg daniel+bsd at pelleg.org
Tue Jan 20 04:01:43 PST 2004

Pat Lashley <patl+freebsd at volant.org> writes:

> --On Monday, January 19, 2004 23:05:02 -0500 Jesse Sheidlower <jester at panix.com> wrote:
>
>> I use Mozilla on my 4.8 laptop. Whenever I switch IP addresses,
>> which is frequent, as I use my computer both in the office and
>> at home (and on trips, etc.), Mozilla becomes unable to
>> resolve any sites it hasn't previously hit. I just get an
>> endless, "Resolving host www.nytimes.com" note in the corner.
>>
>> The only way around this is to quit and restart the browser.
>> Frankly, this is a pain in the ass, as I usually have six
>> or more tabs open at once, each containing something I need,
>> and I don't want to re-open everything every time I move the
>> computer.
>>
>> Is there any way around this? I didn't see anything obvious
>> in the Mozilla docs.
>
> Well, one work-around would be to switch from Mozilla to Galeon
> and use its session capabilities to automatically re-open all
> of the browser windows.  (My primary desktop usually has over
> 100 tabs distributed across 45 to 50 galeon windows, spread
> over 5 of my 20 workspaces.  Without sessions, I think the
> occasional crash would send me into a homicidal frenzy...)
>
> You could also try setting up something like djbdns's dnscache
> server on the laptop and then set resolv.conf to use 127.0.0.1.
> This may not help though - I seem to recall reading that Mozilla
> tries to improve DNS performance by doing it itself instead of
> trusting the system...  (Actually, I think it was a complaint
> about Netscape; but if it does it at all, it's probably in the
> shared code.)

If this is related to the problem that made mozilla hang for a few seconds
on some lookups (ISTR it being related to missing AAAA records), it has
been fixed a while ago (at least in firebird). The OP didn't specify the
mozilla version he's using

Apart from that, I also like the local DNS cache approach. You can do it
with the built-in named as well.

--

  Dan Pelleg