Updating DNS after DHCP

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Mon Jan 19 12:47:10 PST 2004

John <john at starfire.mn.org> writes:

> Thanks, but I'm still missing a piece for my ideal scenario.  This
> requires the DCP server to know to whom it is handing out the
> address, doesn't it? How would it know that?  Does the DHCP request
> include the host name? Or do you have to somehow bind a NIC/MAC
> address to a name for isc-dhcp?

The DHCP request usually contains a "client identifier", which you can
configure dhcpd to use as the host name.  You can also use the MAC
address to identify machines (and associate a name) if you want.

> Clearly, the BIND configuration is already set up to accept updates,
> since the Windows system is successful in doing so.

I think that client update can be enabled with a dhclient.conf
parameter, described in the manual for dhclient.conf(5) under "DYNAMIC
DNS", but I prefer to do it from my DHCP server instead...

--
Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer, Boston area:
		resume/CV at http://be-well.ilk.org:8088/~lowell/resume/