Cutting the power without unmounting the filesystem

Micheas Herman micheas at freep.org
Sun Jan 18 19:48:59 PST 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-18 at 19:38, James Long wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 01:47:48PM +0100, Rickard Dahlstrand wrote:
> >
> > I was hoping on a solution that can work on 4.9.
>
> How about a hardware solution, i.e. a UPS?

Other possible solutions:

Use flash ram cards and a journaling file system. (soft updates may work
but you need to talk to someone that knows about them much better than I
do.)

Use a live cd for everything read only, and use a remote machine for
everything that needs write access.

Hard disks really need to be powered down instead of having their power
yanked. you are asking for a hard crash if you pull power from a drive
that is actively reading or writing.

Having this as regular part of the drives duty is asking for trouble.

Write in TERRY BAUM for Congress on March 2, 2004
http://www.terrybaum.com/