share internet with win xp

Peter Risdon peter at circlesquared.com
Fri Jan 16 12:12:39 PST 2004

Hanspeter Roth wrote:

>  On Jan 16 at 15:38, Carvalho Paulo spoke:
>

>>    I do not want to change the connetion to the
>>internet to the freebsd box. I like to leave it in the
>>winxp box.
>>

>This would require winxp to route. Is winxp able to route? FreeBSD
>is.

Yes. I'd use the FreeBSD machine as the gateway, but you can also use xp
- this is in fact an xp question. But to be helpful: open the network
and internet connections control panel on the xp machine, right click
the dial-up networking account you use, choose "properties", select the
tab marked "sharing" and enable internet sharing, and dial-on-demand if
you wish. Your FreeBSD machine should be set to use dhcp for the network
card. It'll work fine. If both machines have network cards, connect them
via a hub or switch and use standard RJ45 cables, or plug them into each
other directly with a crossover ethernet cable. A normal ethernet cable
will not work. Reboot the FreeBSD machine, and it will get an address in
the range 192.168.1.0/24 from the xp machine. It will be able to access
the internet via the xp machine.

PWR.