How to find the reverse on a IP address?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Jan 16 11:20:57 PST 2004

[nslookup being deprecated]

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 01:58:44PM -0500, Jerry McAllister wrote:

> I don't mean to ask about the meaning of the word deprecated, but
> rather, is nslookup being deprecated a LINUXy thing, or is that
> going to happen in FreeBSD too?

No, it's neither Linux nor BSD derived.  BIND is developed by the
Internet Software Consortium (http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/), and
they are the people responsible for that decision.  Most Unix vendors
ship ISC Bind code and applications standard with their OSes, plus
there are quite a few shrink-wrap products based on ISC code, which
explains why nslookup(1) has been such a long time a-dying.

FreeBSD uses a pretty straight port of ISC BIND to provide named(8),
host(1), dig(1) etc., (but AFAIK doesn't use the straight BIND
resolver code in libc) -- so nslookup(1) will disappear from FreeBSD
when ISC releases (and then FreeBSD imports) a BIND version without
it.  Same probably goes for most Linux distributions.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way