Remove Boot Manger

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Jan 16 00:29:53 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 09:26:48PM -0500, Eric Rivas wrote:

> I previously dual-booted Windows and FreeBSD with two hard disks,
> Windows on the first, FreeBSD on the seconds. After realizing that I
> never booted into Windows anymore, I swaped master/slave setting on the
> disk and fdisk, bsdlabel, etc. the previously Windows disk and now
> happily have a new disk for FreeBSD.  The thing is now, I have the boot
> manager asking which OS to boot (F1 FreeBSD...).  Being that I only
> have one OS on the system, I don't need it anymore.  Anyone have any tip
> on how to get rid of the boot manager.

To get rid of the FreeBSD boot manager:

    # fdisk -B -b /boot/mbr ad0
    # fdisk -B -b /boot/mbr ad1

However, if you swap master and slave drives on your system, you need
to edit the /etc/fstab file first, or FreeBSD won't be able to find
it's filesystems and so won't boot.  It is possible to fix /etc/fstab
after swapping the drives by various means, but it's usually quite an
involved process.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way