IBM 325 Server install - hangs on scsi settle

fbsd_user fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Thu Jan 15 17:59:24 PST 2004

Changes to PC Bios before installing FBSD

Navigate around the Bios menus using the keyboard arrow keys looking
for the following options, your PC bio's may not have all of these.

Virus Warning=, set this option to disable. It's a firmware check of
the hard drive boot sector looking for MS/Windows boot virus. This
will stop FBSD booting from the install CDROM.

plug-n-play=,  set this option to disable. FBSD is not sensitive to
Microsoft plug-n-play standard and may refuse to install, or cause
PCI cards not to be found.

Disable or set to auto any Bio's option to assign irq numbers to PCI
expansion slots.

Disable any ISA expansion slots.

Operating system type=, set to 'other' or any Unix type of operating
system, don't set to MS/Windows.

Check to see if the cdrom drive is the slave to the IDE master Hard
drive you are installing to, if so then move the cdrom drive to the
secondary IDE controller as master. There should not be any cdrom
drive sharing the primary IDE controller with the master Hard Drive.

boot sequence=, set this option to (CDROM,C) Since you are
installing FBSD from CDROM you must tell the PC what I/O device to
look at to boot from. Keep in mind that some older CD-ROMs drives
and older PC bios do not support booting off CD-ROM. Generally with
PC manufactured after 1999 this is not the problem.