apache SSL configuration problems

Nagib Jamal nagib at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 15 17:52:08 PST 2004

Hi Tom,

I have read some of your responses in connection to apache/virtual-host configuration issues ( eg. Owen Boyle june 03). Your responses are indeed clear and consise. However, I am a bit confused although I have managed to make some progress.

My purpose is to set up an ecommerce site on a single server (regular and secure html served).
My current situation/problem is as follows:

1) https://www.mydomain.com/    does NOT work - page cannot be displayed
2) https://localhost works fine

Is this enough information to indicate what might be the souce of the problem? I have attached my config file for reference.

I think my problem has to do with the following rule: "Name-based virtual hosting cannot be used with SSL secure servers because of the nature of the SSL protocol". However, I am not sure what the correct solution would be. I do realize that that are a few gaps in my understanding since I am fairly new to this areas.

My domain is currently set up with domain with domain-forwarding

Regards and TIA..
Nagib Jamal

PS. My domain is currently set up with domain-forwarding rather than via a DNS with the ISP (makes any difference ??).