Cannot switch back to virtual terminal w/ nvidia drivers

Daniela dgw at liwest.at
Thu Jan 15 13:07:06 PST 2004

On Thursday 15 January 2004 20:00, Adam Olsen wrote:
> Daniela,
>
> Ok - Everything works perfectly in X.  When I switch to the VT, I get a
> mode out of range error.  I can switch back to X just fine.  Just the VT
> has this problem.

OK, when you press, say, ctrl+alt+F1 to switch to the VT, are you still in X
or at the console? Is the error message at the console or on the VT from
where you entered startx? Does X terminate?

> I never get the wavy text while in X.  If by chance I am able to switch
> to the VT for some reason without getting the mode out of range error,
> all the text is waving around.  This has not happened in FreeBSD 5.2,
> but I did see it a few times in 4.8 (I don't know if I'll be able to
> reproduce it).

If you switch back to X when you get the wavy text, is everything OK there?
Can you start X from inside a debugger? What do you have in your XF86Config?

I'll go to sleep now, good night.