make -jX build(world|kernel): test results

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Thu Jan 15 12:59:24 PST 2004

Tillman Hodgson <tillman at seekingfire.com> writes:

> * I built 4 kernels: 3 customized and GENERIC (see above for why)

Note that kernels are forced into serial compilation anyway,
so the -j flag has no effect on them.  This test probably
spent a lot more time building kernels than the world, so it
doesn't tell us much about the flag's effect.  Timing it on
buildworld alone would be more interesting.  To me, at
least, but then my buildworld times are nearly an order of
magnitude larger...