Samba 3.x.x on FreeBSD 4.9

Micheas Herman micheas at freep.org
Thu Jan 15 09:35:20 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 08:40, Jeff Royle wrote:
> I have tried various versions of Samba 3.x.x on my FreeBSD 4.9 server
> without success. (Including the current port)

This doesn't answer your question, but here is my experience with Samba
and FreeBSD. There was long time that the port samba-dev failed if it
detected that you were using FreeBSD 4.x  If you do get samba compiled
you will have a further problem of needing a filesystem that supports
access control lists. Overall samba 3.x.x really likes FreeBSD 5.x much
better than 4.x.

Personally, I would stick to Samba 2.x.x if i needed to stay with
FreeBSD 4.x

Micheas