How do YOU stay up to date?

Lee Mx lee_ver_mx at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 15 06:13:27 PST 2004

>From: "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub at 401.cx>
>To: duanewinner at att.net
>CC: freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
>Subject: Re: How do YOU stay up to date?
>Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:34:45 +0100
>
>Duane Winner wrote:
>
>>Hello all again,
>>
>>I'm finally getting my arms around FreeBSD and the updating processes
>>and tools. But I'm still trying to come up with good
>>habits/methods/instructions for updating routines for both myself and my
>>colleagues who also want to switch to FreeBSD.
>>
>>I now understand how to use cvsup to keep my src and ports tree current.
>>I know how to use pkg_add -r to install new sotware, or go into
>>/usr/ports/whatever to make install. I know how to do portupgrade to
>>upgrade my installed ports, how to pkg_version -v to see what's out of
>>date with my tree, and how to cronjob cvsup to keep my trees current. (I
>>still need to play more with make world and whatnot)
>>
>>But what do you all out there in BSD land do to stay current as a
>>practice? I'm looking at this on two fronts: FreeBSD on our laptops
>>(There will be at least 3 of us with T23's, and I also plan on migrating
>>most, if not all of my servers from Linux to FreeBSD).
>
>If you have the resources, you should consider using a dedicated machine
>for compiling.
>With ~10 laptops, a bunch of workstations and about 20-25 servers running
>FreeBSD we use 2 dedicated machines that does nothing but download sources
>and compiles them. One is tracking 4.x-STABLE and the other 5.x-RELEASE.
>Anyone can nfs mount choosen directories from these machines and install
>the pre-compiled software.
>It works extremely well, once the users have learned the correct process.

I'm doing something very similar with a dedicated server and for ports I do
a daily upgrade with portupgrade -Rruap to upgrade and build a package that
the users can then install because I have some very slow machines that would
take days to build some of the larger ports and by just having the server's
/usr/ports nfs mounted on their machines they can upgrade quickly by just
using the -P option to portupgrade.  I'm not sure if that is the best way to
do it but it has worked well for me for sometime.

Good luck,