Network timeout.

Lewis Thompson purple at lewiz.net
Wed Jan 14 08:18:52 PST 2004

Hi,

I'm having problems with my network connection timing out during large
transfers.

  It's connected to a 10Mbit hub so it's not topping out at the card's
maximum throughput.

  Originally I had a Realtek 8139 card but yesterday I dumped that in
favour of a Netgear FA311 (sis chipset) and this seemed to solve all
timeout problems of sustained transfers (saturating the connection for a
sustained period of time).

  However, I've just had a couple more timeouts in the last few hours.
Obviously I was never sure it was the NIC in the first place but I can't
ignore the fact I had a good 20GB transferred without problem yesterday
(as opposed to usually around 1GB before the card dies).

  Data is being uploaded to a Samba server, which reports no errors in
the log (and I have no problems uploading a 100Mbit from inside my
network).  The server is running 4.9-RELEASE and the drive the data is
going to is a vinum volume (in case that has any bearing).

  I'm using ipnat to forward port 139 to inside a jail.  Finally, my IP
is assigned by a DHCP server -- the lease length is 24h but my IP is
static (for the last four months, anyway ;).

  Any suggestions for the best way to go about tracking the problem
down?  If anybody needs any more details just ask and I'll do my best to
provide.

  Thanks very much,

-lewiz.

--
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.  --Bob Dylan, 1964.
-| msn:purple at lewiz.net | jabber:lewiz at jabber.org | url:www.lewiz.org |-