Whan can I do if OS does not boot after makeworld

Micheas Herman micheas at freep.org
Tue Jan 13 15:38:42 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 07:55, Scott Mitchell wrote:
> owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org wrote:
> > Did you ever have any problem about makeworld process ?!
> > I afraid of one day will come and I can't boot my FreeBSD
> >
> > Vahric
>
> This is why the recommended update process is (in part):
>
> # make buildworld
> # make buildkernel
> # make installkernel
>
> Followed by a reboot into single-user mode before doing the installworld.

        This is the place that I have been bitten.  In 5.x (I don't know
        about 4.x off the top of my head) you have to type "shutdown -r
        now" and NOT "shutdown now" The later keeps using your old
        kernel which is what you are trying not to do. It was an new
        system in a huge mess so I just reinstalled instead of trying to
        fix the problems.

        Micheas