New installation: Hanging when trying to dial out

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Tue Jan 13 15:06:10 PST 2004

I love detailed questions!

On Tuesday, January 13, 2004, at 01:05 PM, fbsd_user wrote:

> Why don't you start at the beginning and tell us about the PC you
> installed 4.6 on?

It's an eMachines etower 600is

> Is this an pre Y2K box?

Shouldn't be--I bought it new at Frye's in early 2001.

> What operating system was on it before?

The primary drive has Windows ME on it. 4.6 is on the secondary drive.

> Have you ever used the floppy drive before?

Yes.

> Does the floppy ready light flash when you power up the PC and boot?

Good question--I'll check that next time I do so.

> What command are you using to try to mount the cd drive?

mount /dev/cd* /mnt #No, I didn't use the *--but I tried all the
/dev/cd* entries, one at a time, just as I did the /dev/fd* entries.

> You know the drive  works because you installed from it.

Yes.

> Have you checked the PC's bio's to verify that the com ports are
> enabled and the floppy drive is enabled?

No--I'll do that next time through, too. However, see below for why I'm
pretty sure the com ports (at least) are enabled.

> Is the modem powered up before you boot FBSD?

Yes.

> Have you used the modem before?

Yes.

> Can you prove it works on another system?

It works on this one while running Windows ME--I tested that.

> Does this command connect to your com port with the external modem?
> Tip comx  where x is the com port number that has modem
>
> If it connects enter  AT   for the hayes attention command. Should
> reply with  OK

It replies "connected" and is now hung. I never got to enter AT.

> Use ~ the . keyboard keys to exit tip command.

The keyboard is now unresponsive, both to the ~ commands (~. and ~?)
and to Alt-F3ing to another logon window. Power cycling...

I did not see the floppy light--I had it disconnected while adding the
secondary drive. I'll check that next time it's powered down. The
floppy is enabled in BIOS. Serial port A is Auto, the floppy disk
controlled is Enabled.

I'm going to leave it in BIOS setup while I do some things with my
daughter--back in a bit.

Thanks!

	John A